Monday, December 8, 2014

Italian Sausage Enchilada Spaghetti Squash

Alright, I know that sounds like a made up something and it kind of is. I had some spaghetti squash lying around (our new obsession) as well as some bulk Italian sausage. I went on a mission to see what I could make out of this. I found this recipe for a Chicken Enchilada version and decided to tweek it for my own.

http://www.closetcooking.com/2013/12/chicken-enchilada-stuffed-spaghetti.html?m=1



This recipe will feed 4 adults with good appetites
Ingredients
    FOR THE ROASTED SPAGHETTI SQUASH:
  • 2 small spaghetti squash, cut in half and seeded
  • a couple tablespoon of olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • FOR THE italian sausage ENCHILADA STUFFED SPAGHETTI SQUASH:
  • 2 packs bulk Mild Italian Sausage, cooked and drained
  • 28 oz  enchilada sauce (I use Old El Paso mild)
  • 15oz black beans
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, torn
  • 1 cup cheese, shredded (I prefer Sargento 4 Cheese Mexican)

directions
    FOR THE ROASTED SPAGHETTI SQUASH:
  1. Gather up some brute strength (or do like me and have someone stronger do it) and cut squash in half length wise.
  2. Using a large metal spoon, scoop out seeds like you would a pumpkin or zucchini. 
  3. Brush the inner flesh of the spaghetti squash with oil, season with salt and pepper and roast, skin side up, in a preheated 425F oven until tender, about 30 minutes. I'm not a big fan of crunchy spaghetti squash so I roast mine til the skin starts browning. Almost singed looking. 
  4. Once roasted, let the skin cool to touch or use a dish towel to grab hold of. 
  5. Taking a fork, you literally just drag the fork across the flesh. The squash easily comes out like strings of spaghetti noodles. 
  6. FOR THE CHICKEN ENCHILADA STUFFED SPAGHETTI SQUASH:
  7. Empty shredded squash into a LARGE mixing bowl
  8. Mix the sausage, enchilada sauce, beans, and cilantro, divide the mixture between the spaghetti squash and top with the cheese.
  9. Broil in the oven until the cheese has melted and turned a light golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
  10. Top with cilantro


These buggers are tough and I am not lol

This is what it will look like once split in half.

It doesn't have to be perfect but the seeds come right out with little effort. 


So I may waste a little oil but this is how I do :)




 The flesh comes out SUPER easy once roasted. If it isn't coming out easily then pop it back in the oven for another 10 minutes



 Doesn't look like much here but it so YUMMY!


 Final product! Dig in and Enjoy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment