Monday, March 30, 2015

Creamy Almond Milk Alfredo Sauce

I was feeling lazy and procrastinated my dinner prep the other night until the last minute only to discover I as out of both milk and cream! I had the frozen wild mushroom raviolis from SAMs Club and badly wanted them with some Alfredo sauce. So I did what I do. I started looking in my pantry and Googling to see what I could finagle. Fortunately for me my family lives various fruit and green smoothies so I almost always have some almond milk on hand. This is a healthier and lighter version of a traditional Alfredo that worked out even better than I hoped!!



Mine came out a tad sweeter than I would normally prefer but I attribute that to using vanilla almond milk vs just plain almond milk.

This recipe made 6 servings of Alfredo sauce.

Ingredients
    FOR THE alfredo:
  • 3 Tbsp Butter
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic 
  • 1 3/4 cup Almond Milk, divided
  • 1 Tbsp Cornstarch 
  • 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese 
  • 1/4 tsp salt 
  • 1/4 tsp pepper 

  
    Utensils you need:
  • Large sautée pan
  • Whisk
  • Small bowl
  • Stirring spoon 




Directions
      1. Melt butter with the olive oil in your large sautée pan over medium heat. 
      2. Once melted add your garlic and sautée for a minute. 
      3. Next add 1  1/2 cup almond milk, salt, and pepper   
      4. Stir often while the mixture comes to a simmer while still on medium heat
      5. Add Parmesan cheese to milk mixture and stir well to keep cheese from settling on the bottom and sticking.                                                                       
      6. While your milk mixture is simmering add remaining 1/4 cup almond milk to your 1 Tbsp cornstarch in small mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined. It is important to whisk your cornstarch and remaining almond milk in a separate container. If you ever try to add the cornstarch (or flour) directly to the sauce or soup you will quickly see it does not dissolve well and you will have a lumpy mess.                                                           
      7. Add to saucepan and stir frequently until sauce thickens.  
      8. When sauce starts thickening, go ahead and remove from heat. 
      9. Serve over pasta of your choosing and enjoy!!                     

No comments:

Post a Comment